Iowa Local Food Day
Through a USDA Farm to School Grant, IDALS was awarded the opportunity to create an Iowa Local Food Day. The vision for this day was inspired by the Midwest Menu Celebration Day started by the Focus Midwest Learning Lab and supported by Chef Chad Taylor (Des Moines Public Schools). This event will bring together all sectors of Farm to School. Unifying the state in a local food project that will:
- provide a strong support network;
- aid food service directors in making local food procurement,
- engage more growers in growing and selling to schools;
- help growers ramp up school sales by working on a smaller scale with Summer Food Service Programs (SFSP);
- allow Farm to School activities to expand beyond fruits and vegetables; and
- raise awareness of Farm to School across the state.